Sunday 17 August 2008

Make sure you stay on track

I received a fantastic email today that really got me thinking. It was the usual autoresponder churn which I generally delete straight away but on this occasion, the subject line, "3 questions you really need to ask yourself", intrigued me.
The first question was, "if your life could be exactly what you want it to be, what would it look like?" For me, I'd like to have a job where I start and finish really early. I'd be up at the crack of dawn and enjoy a heart breakfast. I'd go out and work for a few hours and then return in the early afternoon at the latest. During the afternoon I'll have some free time to myself which I may use to run a small internet business, visit relatives, go for a hill walk, play some snooker, play darts and read books. I will then prepare a lovely dinner which the family sit around the table to eat together. In the evening we'll take part in activities. There are no money worries whatsoever. We don't spend, spend, spend but there is enough to live very comfortably if you're not fussy. It's just not an issue.
The second question was, "how much money will you need to earn each and every month for the rest of your life to support this lifestyle?". This is another question which I have thought about in the past, and I feel that a monthly income of £2000 would be enough. This amount would be enough to pay the mortgage, the bills and still have enough left over to support charities, take day trips, share with family and friends, live life and enjoy holidays. Initially I'd like a maximum of £1000 of this money coming from linear sources i.e. a job, with the other half coming from residual sources such as the rental income from my properties.
The third question is when I really sat up and took notice: "If you keep doing what you're doing right now, will you ever meet the monthly income goal?". When I took a couple of minutes to think about this I began to get a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach as I began to realise the answer was simply NEVER! If I continue at my current rate of progress, I will never get my end result.
On reflection I have lost focus over the last 6 months. I have been too busy working IN my business to be working ON my business. I have been shuffling paper, moving sideways instead of taking steps towards my goal.
In order to get back on track, I've decided to take a couple of days off work. I'm making my path so clear that it will be impossible to get lost. The answer to my problem is to reassess where I am at the moment, reaffirm my destination BUT this time ensure that I have put in place some sort of feedback mechanism to ensure that I stay on track.
It is easy to over-complicate life but if we can easily bring everything task in life down to three things: set goals, take action, review. If we can do this consistently then we won't go far wrong!
Please take this opportunity to ask yourself these three questions. You may find the answers are not what you want to hear but I hope they make you wake up and get back onto the Fast Track of Life! Good Luck.

No comments: